The Long and Short of Style
If you are under 162 cm, or 5'4", you have a few challenges with style. A lot of clothes just don't fit right. Some make you look pudgy. Others are too bulky, creating more pudgy, and most things are simply too long. Pant legs with cuffs are out of the question, as are any kind of hem with a design. What can you wear, then that makes you look taller? Is there anything that fits right? Where should you shop?
Thankfully, there are some simple things you can do to ensure you look great in your clothes, and make you appear taller than you are. I have listed a few of them below.
1. Do Monochromatic. One colour only. Head to toe. Right from the hat on your head to the stilleto's on your toes. It's the easiest trick in the book. The look is simple and chic and it flows. It creates a visual vertical line. It just works.
2. Go Vertical with Stripes and Designs. Up and down lines in the form of stripes, pleats, or patterns in your shirts, pants, even earrings. Create vertical lines from head to toe in everything you put on. Wear long, fine necklaces too. Right now they're on trend so wear them with everything.
3. Stay Away From Large Patterns. Large flowers and designs are overpowering on a small frame. They will widen you in the most unflattering way.
4. Midi Skirts Are Not Your Friend. Don't even consider them. Get rid of them or get them hemmed. Your hemlines ideally should be just above the knee. Mini skirts are always okay.
5. Wear Skinny Jeans. If you can't get into them, go with a dark boot-cut. Skinny jeans and leggings are incredibly slimming, as are indigo blue and black boot-cuts.
6. The Nude Shoe is Your New BFF. They make your legs go on forever. Wear them with dresses as much as possible.
7. Wear Stilleto's and Pumps With Pointed Toes. Never wear round toes in shoes or boots. A point is a great way to make legs appear longer.
8. Avoid Thick, Chunky Shoes As Much As Possible. The new platform boots in particular. Chunky shoes and boots make legs appear shorter and legs thicker. They are definitely enemy number one.
9. Stay Away From Straps on Shoes. Mary-Janes in particular are not right for you. Straps around the ankles cut you off and take away from the long leggy look you so want to achieve.
10. Be Mindful of Jumpsuits. They can be your best friend or your worst enemy. If you love them, choose solid colours or small simple patterns that don't overpower you. And remember to wear the same-coloured shoes.
Some great places to shop are specialty petite boutiques. Better department stores also offer petite sections within your favourite designer sections. Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein, Dex and Guess are just a few of them. You no longer have to head to the children's section. Many designers have created clothing especially suited to the petite figure so at-home hemming is no longer necessary.
Dressing should not be a chore. It should be an enjoyable experience. When you acquire a few tricks that work for you and you like what the mirror reflects back at you, you will love dressing, and shopping, even more.