Now that the holidays are behind us, we can anxiously look towards spring. This spring especially, we are going to see a resurgence of pastels in just about everything around us, and one shade in particular is going to stand out from the rest. Greenery.
Greenery, as the word suggests, is a refreshingly light shade of green that represents life, health and vitality. The inspiration for this new Pantone shade comes from iconic designer Vivienne Westwood who once mused, "buy less, choose well, make it last". It encites the dual consciousness of reusing and recycling with newness, birth and growth; or minimalism and reconnection with nature.
Greenery will be showing up this spring in:
- Colour-blocked solid prints with black in sports jackets;
- Ruffled blouses and skirts;
- Slim-fitting pants by Gucci, Kenzo, and Balenciaga;
- Pairings with metallic skirts and tops;
- Prints in last year's shades of Serenity (pale blue) and Rose Quartz.
You will also be seeing Greenery alongside Pantone's 9 other shades for 2017:
- Island Paradise (pastel blue)
- Flame (bright orange)
- Lapis Blue (dark cobalt)
- Primrose Yellow (medium yellow)
- Niagara (medium blue)
- Hazelnut (soft beige)
- Kale (bottle green)
- Pink Yarrow (violet)
- Pale Dogwood (palest lilac)
Any of these new shades can be mixed and matched because that's what they were designed for but if you are still unsure how to add Greenery to your current wardrobe, just follow these 3 tips and you won't go wrong.
1. Pair slim-fitting pants in Greenery with patterned shirts and ruffled blouses imprinted with pastel flowers, tropical scenes and small geometric patterns.
2. If you prefer light colours, pair Greenery with soft yellows, pale blues and pinks, and soft beige.
3. If you like to wear bold colours and jewel tones, Greenery looks great with black, bright yellow and cobalt blue.
Although we haven't seen this particular colour since the early 1960's, it doesn't have to be an expensive endeavour to update your wardrobe with Greenery this spring. A few key accessories in this shade are all you really need. Some chandelier earrings and long necklaces will do the trick. Or attach a few green beads to a black velvet choker and really rock the trend! Scarves and pashminas are relatively inexpensive, as are hats in this colour, particularly berets.
You can go crazy with Greenery, or just use it subtly. But do add it somewhere and enjoy the sense of calm it instills in you!