Wardrobe decluttering can be a daunting task. It can also be an emotional experience for people who have difficulty letting things go. There are many reasons why people can't let go of things. It might be the memories associated with them. It might be the cost. Whatever the reason, it must be undertaken ever so often because clothing, like coat hangers, quickly multiply in your closet!
I've compiled some guidelines to follow to get you through your next wardrobe declutter, in case your self-discipline is weak and you're back where you started!
TAILOR (Or What You May Keep)
1. Anything Classic. Especially if it was expensive because these items were constructed to last. Classic pieces can always be paired with trendy items and are considered wardrobe staples.
2. Personality Pieces. They are your "persona". They define you loud and clear. You feel empowered wearing them so they are definitely your "keepers".
3. The White Shirt. A classic staple that never goes away, the white shirt is versatile in that it can be be styled in so many different ways.
4. Black or Navy Blazer. Always have one or the other. They can be paired with everything from skirts to dress pants to jeans. A navy blazer is great because it can be worn in every season.
5. The Little Black Dress (LBD). If you don't have one, get one. It's a true blue go-to. You always need one for a funeral and you can dress it up or down.
6. Wool Dress Pants. You need one good pair of dress pants and wool is long-wearing. It also has a warmth factor for people in the northern hemisphere.
7. Cashmere Sweater. The cashmere sweater is a long-standing classic that reappears every winter. They come in a variety of colours so get one that complements your skintone and you'll wear it forever.
8. The Trench Coat. If you have a trench coat don't let go of it. If it's black, navy or camel it's always going to be fashionable.
TRASH (Or Get Rid Of It Now!)
1. Anything Worn Through. You've sewn it back together so many times you should be reimbursed for labour! Get rid of it. It's replaceable.
2. Outdated Fast Fashion. You didn't pay much for it and forgot that you had it. Trash it. It's time you went shopping!
3. It's Not You. Those days are gone. You have changed. You've moved on. You can't save it for your daughter. She won't want it. Say "bye bye!".
4. It's Uncomfortable. It always has been. You won't wear it, so don't hang on to it.
5. There's Bad Memories Attached To It. I know. It's so pretty! But you were wearing it when he dumped you. Are you kidding me? Get it out of your sight, and your mind!
6. Duplicates. You have how many white t-shirts?! And how little room in your shelving unit? Pick two of your favourites, then let the rest go.
7. You've Lost Weight. That's fantastic! Good for you! It's much too large for you now. Set it free.
8. You've Lost Track Of It. It's in the back of your closet where you forgot it. You haven't worn it for five years. Say hello, then goodbye.
Now breathe a sigh of relief. You did it! There's room in your closet! Now get out there and do some serious shopping!