Pretty soon now you should be getting mentally exhausted from Holiday party planning and the impending gift shopping expenses you just can't avoid. Your head is probably spinning just contemplating it! With less than one month until the Holiday season is in full swing you need to de-stress and I've got the perfect anecdotes for you to accomplish that!
1. Get a Free Cosmetic Makeover. Most better department stores like Holt Renfrew, Nordstroms and Saks Fifth Avenue offer this service free of charge, as does Sephora. It's a great way to relax and get a personalized makeup session, along with tips and tricks for all the parties you have to attend.
2. Soak in a Chocolate Bubble Bath. Hang a "Do Not Disturb" sign on your vanity door and enjoy the aromatic scent of chocolate while your body softens and soaks. Chocolate is good for your skin, as well as aroma-therapeutic. (The Body Shop offers a chocolate collection at this time of year that is absolutely to die for!)
3. Sip on a Holiday Latte at Your Favorite Cafe. Starbucks and Second Cup have a great selection this time of year. Hide yourself away in the back of the cafe where nobody will find you and enjoy!
4. Search out a Fireplace. Wood burning or gas, you need the ambience. Relax with some Peppermint Schnapps at home or better yet, in a luxury hotel lounge where no one will suspect they will find you!
5. Get Some Chenille Socks. There's nothing more relaxing than a pair of fluffy chenille socks! Soak your feet in eucalyptus epsom salts, slough on some aromatic peppermint foot lotion, and roll them on. Absolute heaven! Your feet will feel lighter than air!
6. Aromatherapy Oils. Most health stores and better drugstores carry essential oils in a wide variety of scents. There's bound to be one you will gravitate towards. Some are reknown for their de-stressing effects. (Lavender oil is always a good bet.) Add a few drops to your bath water or favourite body lotion. The aroma will fill the air and calm you. Take a few deep breaths and enjoy the soothing effects. The ancients knew well what they were talking about!
7. Get a Massage or a Facial. If you can afford one they are well worth the indulgence. Even a half hour massage will ease the Holiday tension and you will feel like a new person soon afterwards. A good facial lasts about an hour and you will get a neck and shoulder massage with it, so definitely consider making an appointment this time of year.
8. Visit a Health Club or Rec Centre. Alone. No kids. No spouse. No one. Head for the hot tub, sauna, or steam room. Don't leave until every ounce of stress has been released from you.
9. Do a Body Scrub. Another wonderful service offered by good spas are body scrubs. If you can't get to a spa though, do it yourself. You can find a lot of great body scrubs at health stores, better department stores, and even some drugstores. Get one that smells amazing and scrub away. Be sure to work on your feet, calves and shoulders as these are the areas that hold the bulk of your tension.
10. Go to the Art Gallery. Seriously, if you really want to get away from all the noise and confusion, visit your nearest art gallery or museum. It's quiet. It's low-key. Best of all, there's no one there. Everyone is shopping or partying. It's a no-brainer. No one will even think to look for you here. You can linger for hours, just wandering around the sculptures. Or, you can sit and stare into thin air. Whatever. The point is to relax, re-focus, and regenerate.
NAMASTE and enjoy the upcoming Holiday Season!